Anxiety For All The Churches

 

Tuesday, June 18, 2024


Psalm 107:1-22

2 Chronicles 6:32-7:6

2 Corinthians 11:16-29


Anxiety For All The Churches (2 Corinthians 11:28)


A phrase I often come across when talking with people about life is “I can’t complain; others have got it much worse.” I appreciate the sentiment; when life turns around and smacks you about, one of the most difficult problems to solve is trying to figure out how to deal with it on a spiritual level. For Australian Christians, it seems like an easy lifeline to consider how good our life is from an overall perspective compared to many other people around the world.


But then I read this passage from St Paul and I wonder: is that attitude good enough? What if things get really bad – I mean, really bad – will I be able to say “I can’t complain; others have got it much worse”?


Because the apostle had it worse than most: beatings, imprisonment, starvation, homelessness, shipwrecks, he had it all. Who could say they had it worse than St Paul? Yet he was able to put all those problems aside. What was his coping mechanism? What is the secret to St Paul’s rock-solid loving faithfulness?


It seems that he had a different perspective. On top of all these problems, he suffered daily anxiety over the churches. But it doesn’t seem to be so much “in addition to” his problems; rather, he was able to put up with all those other problems because he was focused so closely on this one problem over and against all the others. His concern for the health of the church gave him the freedom to suffer all these other problems without letting them get the better of him. Who cares about the floggings and shipwrecks, says St Paul? I’ve got a church to lead to heaven!


What problems are you suffering at the moment? How are you coping with them? How might you exploit your suffering in order to get closer to God?


Lord of my salvation, teach me the lessons you want me to learn from my suffering. Help me see things from your perspective. Just as you exploited death in order to defeat death, help me exploit my suffering to defeat the evil in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monday, September 12, 2022

“Short time or long – I pray to God not only you but all who are listening become like I am, except for these chains.”

Monday, September 19